Tuesday, April 24, 2018

MORE PHOTOS FROM THE GETTYSBURG NATIONAL MILITARY MUSEUM


The taller circular building in the photo above houses the Gettysburg Cyclorama.  I shared a few photos of this particular exhibit here.  It is a huge, ceiling to floor, circular painting by French artist Paul Philippoteaux, showing Pickett's Charge, during the Battle of Gettysburg on July 3rd, 1863.  Truly hard to capture in photos and if you ever get out to Gettysburg, I high recommend you go see if for yourself.



There are props in the foreground to give it a more realistic feel.



There were four versions painted, and this one is the only original.  You can read the whole story at this link.  A painting full of history and I get the same feeling here as I do when I go to every war memorial I have ever been to.  It very much feels like a sacred place.



In the museum there are advertisements from the day.  The following photo shows a circular map of the Cyclorama.


The next advertisement is about the second version of the painting, completed in 1883, exhibitied in Boston 




We moved into another section of the building, and the rest of my photos were taken inside the museum.


A Union Soldier




It was very hard not to get the reflections from the glass, sorry about that.





A troop of African-American soldiers fighting for the North.


Sojourner Truth, who was the author of the quote below,  (c 1797-November 26th, 1883) was an African-American abolitionist and women's rights activist.  


Sojourner Truth was born into slavery in Swartekill, Ulster, New York, but escaped with her infant daughter to freedom in 1826.  She grew up speaking Dutch as her first language and helped recruit black troops for the Union Army.  In 2014 she was included in Smithsonian's magazine's list of the "100 Most Significant Americans of All Time."  I read about her at this link.  It is an amazing story.

Sojourner truth c1870.jpg
(photo found online)

Gregg standing in front of a mural showing people from North and South.






There will be one last post from Gettysburg, when I can put it together, a shorter one.




24 comments:

  1. Hello Denise, wonderful views and tour of the museum. The last photo and sky are beautiful. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen, glad you liked my post. Happy day to you too :) I enjoyed your Earth Day post by the way.

      Delete
  2. I like visiting museums. We learn so much from the past. Thank you for taking the time to share your photos and the links.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Victor, so glad you enjoyed it. I agree, the museums are great to learn our history.

      Delete
  3. Interesting post and a place worth visiting if in the area. I agree photos with glass around are not easy!! Happy day, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this interesting tour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like to see the cyclorama.. you did a good job of grabbing pieces of it. i think as a southerner i want them to remove that union soldier and put a confederate there. did they have any of confederate? i am often afraid we might end up in another civil war because our country is divided in half again in politics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very remiss not to take a photo of a confederate uniform. They were there and I was surprised I hadn't gotten any when I looked at my photos. I promise when we go back I will take several just for you :)

      I am hopeful things will work out Sandra.

      Delete
  6. I would love to see that museum, and the battleground. The artifacts particularly draw my eye.

    Sojourner's quote particularly rings true- with some of the attitudes still out there today, there's still work to be done, because that mentality still shows itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to going back. Maybe hang around in Gettysburg for a weekend. Sojourner Truth was a brave lady. History is full of brave people, they give us hope by example.

      Delete
  7. Thank You for this important post, D

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful post, showing us the Battle and the art. I did not know anything about Ms. Truth, but what a great lady she was.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cyclorama is my favorite thing here, it is awesome! I had no idea that it existed. I learned quite a bit today!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such an interesting tour, with a wealth of information and photographs.
    Thanks for sharing this with us here.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Jan, glad you enjoyed. All the best to you too:)

      Delete
  11. Interesting post. I saw the Cyclorama a few years ago and was impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks fascinating, Denise. I know I'd find it absorbing - though it was such a terrible battle, of course, and such a terrible war.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!